User Interface isn't the worst, but it isn't the best either. That's why, following some feedback from players, we've decided to modernize the entire user interface a little. So far there isn't much - recreating an entire UI takes time - but still, we've come up with something I am sure we can already present to the public!
NEW MAIN MENU
Main menu is pretty simple and at this point iconic. I definitely didn't want to change that one too much! It was, however, getting crowded throughout our development process. Therefore, to free the space in the main menu, we have put all possible game types into one sub menu - game modes. From now on, singleplayer, tutorial, all possible DLCs scenarios, anything new about the game types you can play - will be available there. The menu was also put together in a way so you don't get confused there. Plain, simple, easy - just how things should be!
NEW OPTIONS MENU
This is the greatest change so far. Earlier, the options menu was... one big mess. It was all full and squashed together with no real categories seen. It does change in the UI TEST Update. Options are now categorized and each category includes some unique graphics upon setting, so it is a bit better and different! It is also easier to navigate around and more important options are bigger and easier to see than others.
The following options categories are now:
- Video Settings (includes window type, resolution and language settings).
- Audio Settings (includes general, music and effects audio settings).
- Gameplay Settings (everything regarding the game itself: map mode, map movement speed, colours mode).
- Controls Settings (everything about the controls).
There are some new changes to old mechanics. There are also some completely new, not yet implemented mechanics planned. Those things are:
- add ability to set map scroll speed,
- add ability to set movement hotkeys (right now it is not possible),
- change hotkeys to the following:
- "Speed Up" available with E (primary) and + (secondary) signs,
- "Speed Down" available with Q (primary) and - (secondary) signs,
- add ability to restore control's settings to default.
All of those settings are supposed to help the player navigate more comfortably around the options and have more friendly interface environment.
Not many people watch credits.. but ours have changed! You can see new look of them here: twitter.com/imdevstudio/status/1247110619788120065
UI TEST - Available when?
Players will be available to get UI TEST Update, as soon as it will make the game playable. Whenever all the options work properly, players will be able to switch onto the new UI and test it. After several weeks of testing and feedback, the UI Test will probably end up in the main game as an update.
And that's it for today's Dev Minutes! Thank you for reading and I'll get back to you when UI TEST 2 is ready to go!