Hello everyone! Today, dev minutes are a bit different than normally. We are going to jump into the past projects, to see how 'Market Dominion' changed over time - especially its graphics! The change is quite significant, so I'd like to invite you to read about it and enjoy the article!
Those drafts come from exactly a year ago - when Market Dominion was still just a concept. I was working on the main menu UI, and I had come up with many, many different ideas. Yet, only one of those made it out to become a sketch, which... doesn't present the best. The idea was to keep it interesting and in the companies theme, adding the production line and boxes. Finally, it didn't make it into the game and I have started looking for other solutions.
There are some other designs that didn't get to the game in their first form. One of those designs is the design of the new game screen.
It had a bit different setup, different arrows were used, and branch as well as company were supposed to be picked in a complete different spot than where it is right now. The main design stayed the same, it had some fixes though. Reasons for changes here were simple - aesthetic reasons, as well as problems with mechanics (in case of arrows), which made us adapt different, but visually better arrows that are in the game right now.
I think it is also good to mention some files that were never used.
The one on the left is called "citymd". Simply created in Blender. The idea was to have a city icon with player's company colour in a place where headquarters should be on a map. It even had different stages of growth ('city1' 'city2' etc.) that would suggest how big a company was. It was abandoned when we focused on a simple map view. There was even a short period of time, when Market Dominion was considered to be played on a globe and have icons just like that one to represent the growth. Yup, we did consider making a Market Dominion map a sphere. I am personally glad we did not.
The middle file is called 'stickynote_01' and it was considered as a part of options menu, where the entire options menu would be on a board/something similar and those little notes would have entire options to set within them. The idea was quickly dismissed as it didn't fit the theme and better ways were found.
The last one is 'documentTest' and as a name suggests - it was just a test. It was to match the sticky note feel, but it was never used in any project and was quickly abandoned.
That would be it for this Dev Minutes, I hope you liked seeing the past projects. See you in the next post!